Sunday, March 30, 2008

A New Way of Thinking

This weekend I had to do something that I had not been looking forward to. I had a blog post written (those with blog readers probably read it) but the next morning I felt convicted that it might be too negative so I deleted it. The shopping trip post (A Gentle Reminder) was in preparation for the event. I was not excited about going because I was going to be completely out of my element. It is a world where materialism and appearance come first before all things so I was feeling very apprehensive about going. I hate that I am still such a people pleaser and worry about what others think about me. But I have to admit that is what was driving all the negative feelings about the event.

Once I was there, the morning went much better than I had expected. As I was driving home I was thinking about all the energy and thought I had put into something that was so not important. I was saddened by the wasted time that had been filled with dread. What if I had taken a different approach from the beginning? What if instead of saying "ugh" I would have said "God - what are you going to teach me through this?" or "How are you going to use me?". Oh how those few weeks would have been different!

I know that this was a very frivolous thing, but I want to change my thinking no matter the situation. Whenever I feel anxious, scared or even angry - no matter the circumstance, what if instead of going negative I ask the two questions above? While I was processing what God was teaching me this chorus by Rich Mullins' came to mind.


Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days


I love when God reveals things to me, it is so awesome that he allows me to learn from my mistakes.

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just don't know how to express how proud I am of you. I love you, dad. . .

His Girl said...

I think you went with the PERFECT heart... only people led by the Lord would even be still enough to listen to His leading into repentance and a clean heart! So proud of you!

Thanks for letting me learn from your experience- it really ministered to my heart :)

Karla Porter Archer said...

I'm trying so hard to make some serious changes in my life. My attitude and my way of thinking.

Praise the Lord for His Grace!

xo ~K